I love the summer, especially the summer here in Toronto. There is so much amazing stuff to do around the city and throughout Ontario. Unfortunately, extremely hot weather (above 40C with the humidity) and getting sick partway through the month means I haven't been able to do all I had planned for the summer. Hopefully the weather will cooperate for August because I have a lot I want to do before my husband and daughter head off to school.

One good thing about the hot weather keeping us indoors a bit more means more reading! One book of note that I read (and will post the review for soon) is A Year of Living Generously by Lawrence Scanlan. He spent twelve months working with twelve different charities both at home (Ontario) and abroad. This book is eye-opening and inspiring. He showcases the work that so many people are doing to make this world a better place and how people like you and I can get involved and really make a difference.

In July, the longlist for the Man Booker Prize was announced. This is for the best novel of the year written by a citizen of the Commonwealth or the Republic of Ireland. So far I have only read one book on the long list (A Long Song by Andrea Levy) but I'm hoping to change that greatly by the time the prize is announced in October.

Also, if you're near the Toronto area you may be familiar with the Word on the Street festival that happens every September. It's a fabulous book and magazine festival and they now have their blog up and running. At the beginning of the month they announced that Yann Martel will be their headlining author.

I hope you all are enjoying your summer and happy reading!

Comments

  1. Hope it cools off enough for you to enjoy the summer soon! Have a wonderful week....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of 'A Year Of Living Generously'! Haven't been able to find it selling over here yet, but it's on my list!

    Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm from Toronto and I was wondering when the Word on the Street was happening! Thanks for keeping me in the loop! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop