Mixing It Up Challenge 2012

Ellie of Musings of a Bookshop Girl is hosting the Mixing It Up 2012 Challenge. It is designed to get us out of our reading comfort zones, exploring new genres and reading diverse books. It's the perfect challenge for me as that's exactly what I've been wanting to do lately. For all the rules and to sign up go here.

There are five levels of participation and I have decided to go for the top one - All the trimmings and a cherry on top. This involves reading one book from all of the given categories, a total of 16 books. Here are the books I have chosen:

Classic: Uncle Tom's Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe
Biography: Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, Amy Chua
Cookery/Food/Wine: Diet for a Small Planet, Frances Moore Lappe
History: A History of the World in 100 Objects, Neil MacGregor
Modern Fiction: I've Got Your Number, Sophie Kinsella
Graphic Novels/Manga: Maus, Art Spiegelman
Crime/Mystery: The Accident, Linwood Barclay
Horror: The Island of Dr. Moreau, H.G. Wells
Romance: The Notebook, Nicholas Sparks
Science Fiction/Fantasy: In Other Worlds, Margaret Atwood
Travel: All Over the Map, Laura Fraser
Poetry: The Selected Poems of Langston Hughes, Langston Hughes
Journalism/Humour: How to be a Canadian, Will Ferguson
Science/Natural History: The Legacy, David Suzuki
Childrens/Young Adult: Want to go Private?, Sarah Littman
Social Sciences/Philosophy: Gang Leader For A Day, Sudhir Venkatesh

Comments

  1. I'm also taking part in this challenge. Isn't the variety great? Best of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was excited when I saw this one. I've been thinking about really changing things up for 2012. I had a great time putting this list together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea; and even for someone who doesn't read as much as we do, it would actually make a great year's reading project, just those 16 books. I'm tempted...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck with your 2012 reading challenges. This one does sound interesting but I am not going to join as I want to try and concentrate on reducing my TBR shelves next year. Challenges tend to add to it rather than subtract. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LindyLouMac - I definitely need to reduce my TBR shelves. Mind you, I always say that and it never seems to happen... Fortunately for me, this challenge should encourage me to dig into some of the more difficult books on my shelf instead of getting into an easy-reading rut!

    Welcome Shan - what a great reading list! I hope you like 'The Notebook' - I know Nicholas Sparks gets a bad rap from some readers but I adored it. I want me a Noah of my own! I'm dying to read the Amy Chua too, it looks fascinating. And I'd never even thought of the MacGregor for my history category - maybe work my way through it steadily as a backdrop to my other books??? Interesting... Good luck, anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello again! How are you getting on? Hope you're enjoying your reading so far in 2012 anyway - I'm doing rubbish with my challenges so far so really this is just a drive-by to say hi! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop