"Better Than Good Hair: The Curly Girl Guide to Healthy, Gorgeous Natural Hair" by Nikki Walton


When you need to know anything about caring for natural hair, Nikki Walton is the woman you want to go to.  Known in the natural hair care world as Curly Nikki, she has spent years dishing out advice, tips, and humour and now she is bringing it all to your bookshelf.

Better Than Good Hair: The Curly Girl Guide to Healthy Gorgeous Natural Hair! is all of Nikki's wisdom packed into one easy to use book.  Whether you've been natural for years, about to undergo the big chop, or just interested, this book has it all.

The book starts right from the beginning with how to transition to natural hair, how to care for your Teeny Weeny Afro (TWA), through the growing stages, and finally how to care for your long natural hair.  It also has a chapter dedicated to caring for the natural hair of your young ones.

My daughter has gorgeous, super tight and super coiled 4a/4b curls.  Considering that I have stick straight hair and my husband shaves his not as tight and not as coiled curls, caring for her hair was not something we were prepared for.  Curly Nikki is the girl that I learned it all from.  From how to establish a hair-care routine to how to pick the right products for her curls (not all curly hair products work on all curls I've learned), she helped me cover all of the bases.  And I'm going to count it all as a success when I consider the compliments I get about my daughter's hair.  It is so nice to see all of her hard work and advice in one place.  

If you've been natural for years, you're probably well-acquainted with Curly Nikki.  You may find this book might not have any new information, but it's still a great book to have.  If you're new to being natural or thinking about it, this would be the first book I recommend.  My only criticism of this book is that the pictures could be of better quality.  Photos are black and white and the drawings could be clearer but other than that, this is a fantastic book.

Comments

  1. Sounds interesting. I'm pretty new to the whole natural vs straightened hair debate, but I was just reading about a character's struggle with it in a novel...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop