Waiting On Wednesday - February Release

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.


Here is the book that I am most looking forward to in February:

The Bear by Claire Cameron

A powerfully suspenseful story narrated by a young girl who must fend for herself and her little brother after a brutal bear attack.

While camping with her family on a remote island, five-year-old Anna awakes in the night to the sound of her mother screaming. A rogue black bear, 300 pounds of fury, is attacking the family's campsite, pouncing on her parents as prey.

At her dying mother's faint urging, Anna manages to get her brother into the family's canoe and paddle away. But when the canoe dumps the two children on the edge of the woods, and the sister and brother must battle hunger, the elements, and a dangerous wilderness, we see Anna's heartbreaking love for her family--and her struggle to be brave when nothing in her world seems safe anymore.

Told in the honest, raw voice of five-year-old Anna, this is a riveting story of love, courage, and survival.

I've read a few reviews of this in Canadian newspapers and I'm really looking forward to it.  Lindsey at Random House of Canada says it packs a powerful punch and she always knows just what books I will like so I trust her on that one.

Comments

  1. This is the book that everyone is talking about, and yet i don't really want to read it. The kids just seem to young to make it plausible, and it seems sad. I don't know. You read and review it and then I might consider it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit the ages did make me pause. But the buzz around it is enough for me to read it. I'll let you know how it goes.

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of this one before. Hope you can stop by mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choice! Sounds like an interesting story. My WOW post is here if you want to stop by.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop