"Behind Closed Doors" by B.A. Paris

Everyone knows a couple like Jack and Grace, that perfect couple everyone wants to be. He is a handsome lawyer, who represents women who are victims of domestic violence. She is a beautiful and doting wife who takes immaculate care of their home. It’s safe to say that their friends are in awe and possibly a tiny bit jealous.

But if you take a closer look at Jack and Grace you’ll notice some cracks in the facade. They are never apart. She never answers the phone and she always cancels last minute when she has plans. And the house has a security system that not only keeps people out but also keeps them in.

Behind Closed Doors, by B.A. Paris, is a chilling and terrifying thriller that shows how no one can really know what goes on in a marriage.

Wow. As I sit down to write about this book a month after I read it, all I can still say is, wow. This is a good read. It’s been a while since I’ve read a book with page-turning suspense, that I must absolutely keep reading because I have to know what is going to happen. This book was creepy and intense and there were moments where I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to handle it all.

Jack and Grace are that perfect, immaculate couple that everyone admires. It is so easy to picture them at dinner parties amongst their friends and the way that they would command everyone’s attention. But when the parties are over, the horrors return. To say that Jack is controlling is an understatement. Everything to do with Grace’s life is dominated by what Jack wants. And just when the reader is wondering what it is that keeps Grace from running and seeking help, it is revealed what kind of monster Jack is. It’s obvious why the publisher has chosen #StaySingle to market the book online.

After reading this book, I now understand the meaning of “spine-tingling read.” I think the only thing that stopped it from being a perfect book for me was the way it jumped between past and present. I would have preferred a chronological story, because the jumping back and forth was driving me crazy - I wanted to find out what the deal was! So I guess that’s also a good thing because the suspense it created was incredible. So really, the only thing that kept it from being a perfect book is a personal preference.


This isn’t a book for the faint of heart. It is very disturbing and could certainly be too much for some people. But if you’re a fan of the psychological thriller genre, this is a book you should read, because the chills factor is off the chart with this book.

I received a copy of this book courtesy of the publisher, Harlequin. The opinions expressed above are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop