Stacey at Have Books, Will Travel is hosting a challenge called Around the World in 80 Books. The goal of this challenge is to read books from 80 different countries in a five year period. The rules are fluid which I love about a challenge, you can set the rules for how they best apply to your reading habits. Here are mine:
1. I have 5 years to complete this challenge. Starting on October 22, 2012 and finishing September 30, 2017. This pace seems reasonable and most likely easy to complete considering I read 100 books a year.
2. I'm choosing books from particular countries, not the country the author is from. If a book takes place in multiple countries, then I will count it toward the country that it is set in the most. I will not be counting books from Canada, the United States or England as these are the countries I read from the most and my goal in this challenge is to explore the world I'm not familiar with.
3. I will not be preselecting books or countries in advance, I want to see where this challenge will take me!
I will be posting links to my reviews here as I blog them.
1. FRANCE - The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan
2. NETHERLANDS - The Dinner by Herman Koch
3. SUDAN - A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park
4. CUBA - The Poisoned Pawn by Peggy Blair
5. WALES - The Detour by Gerbrand Bakker
6. GHANA - Ghana Must Go by Taiye Selasi
7. JAPAN - A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki
8. NIGERIA - Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
9. GERMANY - The Aftermath by Rhidian Brook
10. BELGIUM - On Black Sisters Street by Chika Unigwe
11. SINGAPORE - Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan
12. CHECHNYA - A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra
13. ITALY - The Midwife of Venice by Roberta Rich
14. UGANDA - All Our Names - Dinaw Mengestu
15. SIERRA LEONE - The Radiance of Tomorrow - Ishmael Beah
16. TRINIDAD - Moving Forward Sideways Like a Crab - Shani Mootoo
17. AUSTRALIA - Amnesia - Peter Carey
18. PAKISTAN - She Loves Me, He Loves Me Not by Zeenat Mahal
19. EGYPT - Intolerable - Kamal al-Solaylee
20. SCOTLAND - At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen
21. CONGO - Broken Glass by Alain Mabanckou
22. JAMAICA - A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James
23. GREECE - Outline by Rachel Cusk
24. COTE D'IVOIRE - Aya by Marguerite About
25. KENYA - City of Thorns by Ben Rawlence
26. IRAN - Until We Are Free by Shirin Ebadi